Books on/about/concerning Editing

D

DerekEastham

I'm always on the look-out for a new editing book, and I was wondering if anyone else out there has a few good suggestions?

One really great one that I suggest to everyone, even people who don't work in any kind of editing medium (or related field), is "In The Blink Of An Eye" by Walter Murch.

It's a really great description of his editing process, and I found it to be rather eye opening for my own technique and process.

What are some books you all would recommend?

8)
I really need to do some more text book reading, I've been fixed into magazines for too long now.
Actually, the book you suggested by Walter Murch may end up as my first editing book, thanks for the recommendation.

Editing bibles

Editing bibles

Hey Derek

I am no expert on editing being only an apprentice, but I can offer some suggestions which have helped me immensely and been interesting. In the blink of an eye is definately one of the best. Try get hold of a copy of The Conversations: Walter Murch and the Art of Editing by Michael Ondaatje. Although not as comprehensive as the first, it is still one of my favourites.

First Cut: Conversations with Film Editors by Gabriella Oldham

When the shooting stops...The Cutting begins by Ralph Rosenbaum
*considered by some as the holy grail*

Nonlinear Editing by Bryce Button is also fantastic and a DV pro series book with informative sections on post-production and ideas for some of the less creative grunt work involved in rough cuts and select viewings.

The technique of Film Editing by Karel Reisz and Gavin Millar is fantastic for continuity editing.

Then there are books which are worth reading simply for the brilliance of their authors. They don't answer questions but may make you ask more of the right ones.

Eisenstein's Selected Writings Vol. 1
Pudovkin's Film Technique *has wonderful sections on the Kuleshov effect*
Andre Bazin's What is Cinema *not just editing but insightful in many areas

I must warn you that all three of the above had very definite ideas. There is no question that Eisenstein, like DW Griffith was one of the best silent guys, but his politics and absolute adherence to an unenviable-ideology is sometimes irritating.

Journals like Film Quarterly and FIlm Culture also provide great ideas

Hope these help,

Phoenix

Thanks Pheonix...
I'll have to have a look at those.

I've read quite a few... but since I moved I haven't yet had an opportunity to un-pack my old books to see what I've got...
I have many, mostly on scriptwriting at the moment however.

I'll be sure to look up those books.

Thanks again.

Network Sponsors

Back