BlueCat Screenplay Competition Final Deadline June 26th

bluecat

Hello,

Just wanted to send a friendly reminder that the Final Deadline for the 2017 BlueCat Screenplay Competition is June 26th. BlueCat is now accepting features, pilots, and shorts. Every submission will receive written analysis by August 10th. For complete information and submission details, please visit [url]www.bluecatscreenplay.com/2017-call-for-entries[/URL]

AWARDS

Feature Screenplay Winner $10,000. Four Feature Finalists will receive $1,000 each.

Short Script Winner $5,000. Four Shorts Finalists will receive $500 each.

Pilot Winner $5,000. Four Pilot Finalists will receive $500 each.

The Fellini Award will be awarded to the Best International Feature Screenplay of the 2017 Competition written by screenwriter residing outside the USA and will receive $1,000.

If you would consider sharing this information with your communities, that would be greatly appreciated. In the meantime, check out a few of BlueCat’s latest screenwriting blogs below!

If you have any questions, feel free to contact us at media@bluecatscreenplay.com.

1000 WORDS TO WRITE BY

pf7rEc4S4_hGxj5mnYo7xQ-5LMCcGTLLly_7KhBmpeBbLP2RFh2GlVgmMA0i4ryVDt7vAFwaDPlF5iO7iFLzGqlfEq2ZRk6WnSTYwU0XfR_Wp6L6tsnQgZmVN4EcKHG4oq0zSgd7

"All the writing advice in the world can't replace good tools and lots of practice. This is why I've compiled the following list of more than a thousand action verbs. I needed a handy, printable reference tool that didn't strain my eyes or wrists. Try it for yourself sometime. It works."

Award-winning novelist and screenwriter Deanna Carlyle has shared with us on the BlueCat blog a simple reference tool for writers looking for synonyms for common action verbs.

5 TOP REASONS IT’S HARD TO WRITE A SCREENPLAY (AND HOW IT GETS BETTER….)

GU4ZaU1XOUWg5J4Gk7QdI105Nqcg7q1c3R1Jdf_WgK0JnWc3ejiS81RWNq8uNPw_PC_8_CYkSSS4YChlA0RR2Dy54lyyhs3lHtfPA-cGRwt9aEEvE0hnmX_o9mjX7SsX3EQdihpW

"While I'm thinking about the script in front of me, staring me in the face, casting its shadow across my every day, I know full well why it might be difficult to write a great screenplay. What are the common reasons it's so challenging? Why can't we seem to cross that last stretch and finally complete a script that changes everything for us?"

BlueCat founder and judge Gordy Hoffman lists the five most common difficulties we all face when writing a screenplay, before giving us a pep talk on how to overcome them.

THE SHOW DON’T TELL RULE: YOUR FIRST 10 PAGES’ BESTFRIEND

K_B6vwD7jHSHzsMuscUUImilrub-1fp5eXBiVL5phlEjHSIzN6NkXG0g0cow64bl_p5019nqsL1BNAgWOV-3tW2muTz1cRt12WcRAVprbr86gsougBJ77QWtX1yV-cuKxjUYPs1P

“If you’ve ever taken a screenwriting class or have read a book on the craft, you’re probably familiar with the adage ‘show, don’t tell’. It is the idea that it is better to showcase a beat of information in a visual way than to simply explain it to the audience. This can be a challenge on the page because you’re, in a way, simulating the visual medium instead of actually working in it, and many writers struggle with this writing rule because of that.”

Rob Clarke, a production coordinator in Indie Horror and this week's guest writer on the BlueCat blog, explains how the writing technique of “show, don’t tell” is both a creative and effective way to reveal information.

Network Sponsors

Back