dscarpati

Hello readers and filmmaker peers,

I'm writing this post to share a project that I've been working on for a few years now. It's a nonfiction book all about film/TV production assistants, "Gofers: On the Front Lines of Film and Television!" If you have 90 seconds, I'm sure you'll enjoy this short trailer that explains more. (Watch this video to see and hear me talk--because aren't we all tired of reading stale emails and on-screen text?)

So far, the Queens Chronicle newspaper praised the book, and these are a few of the reviews that I'm humbled to have received from industry pros:

“'Gofers' is a must read for anyone interested in breaking into the motion picture industry. Full of how to, on-set knowledge, and peppered with anecdotes told through the eyes of veteran PA Daniel Scarpati, it is informative, fun, and tells it like it is.”​
Tom Reilly, member: the Directors Guild of America, author of "The Hollywood MBA: A Crash Course in Management From a Life in The Film Business"

"I so wish I had this book when I was first trying to be a writer/producer in L.A. I started as a PA, but this would've saved me the two years it took to learn the protocol of Hollywood."​
Russ Woody, producer/writer of Parenthood, The Middle, Becker, Mad About You and The Drew Carey Show

The book's primary audience is us here on this forum: students of filmmaking! People who want to break into our industry as a PA on films, TV shows and commercials. Or those who want to grow in their craft and see things from the perspective of PAs. The secondary audience is fans of behind-the-scenes stories from set. Regardless of which group a reader is in, my aim is to educate through entertainment. This is the book that I wish existed in college--something to guide me as I was starting out with zero connections.

The book contains dozens of valuable lessons: how to start out with zero connections, what a freelance lifestyle entails and why success is all about who you don't know. Come behind the scenes of countless sets to hear about the plentiful, sometimes painful tasks PAs are asked to do so the show can go on!

I welcome all questions and comments--please feel free to reply. Sending warm regards to you and yours,

The best books are those written from experience ☺️

Network Sponsors

Back