Aspiring Film Composer Seeking Long-Term Connections/Projects :)

Todd Dunken II

I am so thrilled to have come across this community! My name is Todd Dunken II, but feel free to call me TJ! I have been composing semi-professionally since 2018. That is when I started studying with Dr. David D. McIntire, Dr. Frank F Nawrot, and Dr. David W Brewer. Initially I wanted to compose contemporary SSAATTBB or TTBB choral literature since my background is as a vocalist. However, as the composition assignments were more structured for Band, Orchestra, and Tech I grew fascinated with the unfamiliar.

Thanks to my time at Missouri Western State University I became deeply involved in the Music Theory/Music Tech programs where I developed deep and meaningful connections with other Musicians. I do value the connections I made with my peers and fellow composer, however, if I want to work on anything film-related I must admit; it is unlikely a fellow composer will give me a "Job".

I have worked on a few student films before for the Griffon Film Society. A friend of mine (Devin) is still at Missouri Western State University, and anytime he has a project that needs ANY amount of scoring he comes directly to me. I have personally scored three of his short films and I am currently working on his Thesis at the moment! This experience has been great, but rather limited. I have searched many different avenues for more experience in film scoring, but it is proven to be difficult. Missouri Western State University does not necessarily have the largest film department. In fact, the film department only produces about six-eight student films a semester, most of which use Epidemic Sounds for the soundtrack.

In the meantime, I have been pursuing my own projects to bolster my Portfolio, as well as to continuously practice my craft. In fact, I just recently released a full-length ambient album titled, "Unaccompanied Wanderer". On top of releasing that album, I have attempted to stay active on my YouTube Channel where I like to post anything that I am working on.

I am 23 years old and in that stage of life where I deem it necessary for me to start building a stronger foundation of experience for the career path that I want to go down. I have worked in sales full-time since 2019, and I do not enjoy one bit of it. I realize that if I want to move into the Film Scoring Industry that it is important to start piling up experience now. Then hopefully with that experience comes some long-term friendships/connections. I look forward to discussing this with anyone.

Hi TJ!
Welcome to our community! :D I just finished listening to "Extraterrestrial Joy Ride" on your YouTube Channel. I am looking forward to see more from you in the future :D You can keep us updated by posting each new composition that you make and maybe even tell us a few things about what inspired you

Hi TJ!
Welcome to our community! :D I just finished listening to "Extraterrestrial Joy Ride" on your YouTube Channel. I am looking forward to see more from you in the future :D You can keep us updated by posting each new composition that you make and maybe even tell us a few things about what inspired you
Thank you so much for the warm welcome! I will try my hardest to be an active member of this community. I look forward to sharing future work with the group! ❤️

Network Sponsors

Back