anything negative?

sasha

Hello everyone. Im new to this forum, But iv been reading what everyone has to say for a couple of weeks now.
My question is, does anyone have any negative comments about this feild of work? Im looking into making film my profession and just want a better understanding of what im getting myself into.

Sasha

It takes years to get established and make a decent living at it, and you find yourself working for idiots sometimes. Other than that, it's great.

Thanks for the reply and I understand, I'v worked for the goverment for three years. I dont think thats going to stop me but if anyone has any more advise I'll take any information I can get.
Thanks again.
Sasha.

how do you get established... Obviously you probobly have to work on a lot of low budget films, but where do you find people willing to shell out cash for some kid fresh out of film school who really doesn't have enough credibility to get started.

From the business end, I can tell with certainty that a negative aspect is that most of the people that have made it (producers, executives, agents, even several high-profile filmmakers) are calculating, manipulative liars. Not to put a damper on anything, but that's just the way Hollywood is. Alwaysremember, it doesn't matter if the person you're talking to is a high-powered executive, or a lowly indie film PA, EVERYODY's an actor in LA LA Land.

I going to split this relpy in two.
For LAZLO, in your personal opinion.
Can a fresh out, grad prosue in other avanues of film. instead of doing a lot of low budget films to gain credibility and get established so he\she can get started on making film? or is the prosuit for people with money the only way?

For TEMERSON, thanks I can relate to that from the many jobs i'v held in the past. Right now I can only imagine how it is in this profession. Im sure that taking criticism for the many years that some of these people had to forcefuly take has maid them a bit defensive. Maybe im wrong but I'll remember your advise.

For Lazlo,
Reading back on what I wrote it sounded to me like was on the offense. I wasnt it was just a question :D

As a DP, there are lot of paths to knowledge and contacts. I've always been a DP, never an AC or electrician, but I started at the lowest level of budgets, usually with people I went to film school with, and then with people who I met through fellow students, and then finally people who I met through the people I met through the fellow students. One job leads to the next.

The editor on my second feature introduced me to the director of my fourth, the producer of the fourth hired me on seven more features, directors of some of those features hired me on other features with other producers, those producers in turn hired me on other projects with other directors, etc. Now most of my work comes from producers or directors I have worked with before, or from new people who know those people.

Thank you for the reply.
I've started already with studentfilmmakersforums.com and I've been reading other forums on this site to start getting a better understanding of the art. Yours gets a bit difficult to understand at times but only because my lack of knowledge in film. I've never held a high paying job but have traveled or lived in more than 10 countries through similar means.

Hard work and determination are nothing new to me but sometimes people who have the answers are greedy. I guess i cant completely blame them. Valuable knowledge is often a hard thing to gain and harder to share especially when its taken for granted.
I appreciate your reply. Thanks again

You asked, does anyone have any negative comments about this field of work? I don't know, this isn't my field. Currently when I fill out forms, I choose "non-profit" as Industry. But if non-profit wasn't an option, I would say something else, of course. There is more to say.

Anyway, I would think that negative comments could be made toward any field and toward any and all branches within any and all industries. But why not focus more on the positive?

I get your point. And it's better to not be naive about the industry you're going into or already in.

But maybe that's just the simple thing you need to know. Just don't be naive and spend a lot of time learning more, growing more, and doing more. And I guess while you are learning, growing, and doing more, you'll find out for yourself what to look out for, what to be cautious about, and how not to be naive in different situations.

Sometimes it's better to say that saying, "... cross that bridge when you get there ..."

It's intriguing to hear, read, and even be inspired by other people's real life experiences, but that might not necessarily literally be relevant to an individual pursuing the field. Everybody has their own positive and negative experiences. And a person may or may not experience the same positive and/or negative things. May come similar, may come exact, or may not come at all.

A lot of negative things can happen in any industry, but why build you're own invisible things that can possibly shape shift into more and more excuses, obstacles, and lack of self-confidence that will only hold you back or slow you down.

In your last post you said, "Hard work and determination are nothing new to me but sometimes people who have the answers are greedy. I guess i cant completely blame them. Valuable knowledge is often a hard thing to gain and harder to share especially when its taken for granted."

Well, I'm not sure about that. Right now, I'm not thinking about people being greedy or finding it hard to share valuable knowledge. Especially in these forums, I noticed a lot of people taking the time to share their valuable knowledge and experiences, sometimes or a lot of times physically looking for the questions they can answer, reaching out to other people, and even saying things like, "...Yoo-hoo,..." well, not necessarily, yoo-hoo, but " ... I'm over here, XYZ questions, ... post them here, ... would like to help... "

One of the things that could be "taken for granted" is the fact that there are people, for example, here that would like to answer questions or casually exchange thoughts, so if anybody has any questions or chat topics at all, it wouldn't be a bad idea to post them here.

First I want to thank you for the reply and for the advice. I try to always keep an my ears and eyes open to what people have to say.

Right now Im doing as much studying about the art as I possibly can, before I start school.

When I wrote about people being greedy, I did not at all mean this about the people who are shraring what they know with others. (like on this site)
I am not a bitter person and Im happy about what people are doing here :D
I mean, I posted this because I believed people could help and I was right
but in professions where most must start as an apperntice for someones company (ex. Industrial Designers) they are MORE then just OFTEN faced with people who dont want their apperntices to move faster then them and make the lives of these poeple vary difficult. My question was. Is the film indestry like this also?
Iv talked to people that work in ID and thats what I found out, but film, so far nothing that bad. Just the same thing you would find with any other job :) go to www.core77.com and read for your self its under the forum. Thinking about leaving. If anything theres alot of inspiration there. A lot of creative people who just want to love what they do. Its not always up to you to make the best of it is what most of them say.

If somebody would like to post what their life is like (day to day) after film school i would love to read it. GOOD and BAD.

Just to add, about negetive points, if ever you may not be aware of those :

1) You never know what's going to happen next, if you will find work in the next days, months etc. You may have wonderful projects that never issue as well, or see a friend of yours getting the job you thought was for you...

2) It's very hard to have a normal family life. You often work day out, or for very long days that make you so tired afterwards that week-ends are only for resting, do the necessary things like buying food, paying your bills etc. Also you may work far from home for long weeks and several times a year... Imagine taking your kids to school if your wife/husband is not in situation of being able to do it and imagine taking care of your kids like this...

Apart from that, I agree with what was said above.

Je te remercie pour ta réponse.

Quick quesion about your reply. Is this your experience with the movie industry in France or Europe all together?
Im currently living near Frankfurt but Im making my move back to the states in a couple of weeks to go to film school. I would love to work in Europe for a while if it's possible.
One last question do you still like what you do for a living??

Thanks again.

It's my experience with the industry in France. I worked in different countries, but it was quite always based on a french company.

But I'm not sure it's much different in other countries. I often worked with foreign people and it feels like being basically the same everywhere.

One thing one can do as to have advices from people from different countries is to go to the cinematography.com forums as well. Most of the people there are experienced and from different countries in the world.

About your last question, it would be long to explain how I came to teaching, but I can say that even though it's not always easy to work for schools, I enjoy a lot sharing my knowledge with students. May be I don't feel like this in a few years, who knows, but by now, I like what I do.

Regards

Network Sponsors

Back