Adobe Premiere Pro

M

Mark

Adobe has finally up the ante on the PC for digital video editing with their latest release "Adobe Premiere Pro." This version is optimized for Intel's Pentium IV and is far more power and efficient than previous versions. For those of you who still don't want to switch over to a mac be sure and check it out.

Adobe is a multi-media software powerhouse, and widely recognized as such. However, Adobe Premier isn't so powerful until it's bundled with other Adobe applications in the Adobe Video Collection, either Standard or Pro, which consists of Premier, After Effects, Audition, and Encore, with After Effects Pro and Photoshop CS in the Video Collection Pro. My reason for saying this is based on a recent article I read, I believe it was in Videomaker, I should check, but screw it. Anyhow, it listed virtually all of the editing apps and their respective characteristics and capabilities. The one that appeared to stand out head and shoulders above the rest in terms of best bang for the buck was Pinnacle's Liquid Edition Pro. Although Final Cut Pro, Vegas, and Avid were not too far behind in terms of overall capabilities, Premier was rated surprisingly poorly compared to all of the other applications that were listed.

re: Adobe Premiere Pro

I'll have to check out those applications.

I had forgot to mention that Adobe nails you by making you have to purchase multiple applications to do the same that some others include all in one box but the point of my original post was that the lastest version is far more optimized for speed and current processor technology than the older oens were. That used to be a big hurdle for Premiere but isn't so bad any more on the pc. It's about time too because they sure took their time updating it.

I'll be sure to check out some of the other apps (of course FC pro is mac only) that are available on the pc.

Yeah, I just recently built a PC for video and sound editing and I've been researching all of the applications, excluding FCP, even though I love it and use it through my school I can't afford to purchase the system just to use the application. I've been researching apps for PC that are similar if not better than FCP. I'm considering either Vegas or Liquid, don't know for sure yet, maybe I'll get both...!?

Well, unless you're doing lots of fancy digital effects, Premiere will do you fine without all the add-ons: I've edited a lot of shorts (DV and 16mm) on Premiere, and one DV feature, and only had to export to a more sophisticated system for the final color grading. One problem, though, is that apparently Premiere Pro removed the EDL export, which would make editing 16mm to complete on film rather pointless.

Personally, while I have Edition here (haven't installed the upgrade to Liquid Edition yet, but I doubt it's changed dramatically), I wasn't very impressed. It does seem to be much better than Premiere or Avid Xpress Pro for doing realtime effects, but otherwise I think the interface is nasty, taking over your entire desktop and violating all the basic Windows conventions.

Edition 5.0 also had some horrid user interface bugs and the DVD compression on a P4-2.4GHz was much slower than the hardware compression on my Pro-One card in Premiere. I have not at all fond memories of leaving it for two hours to produce a DVD only to discover that it had ignored the changes I made because I hadn't closed the DVD editor window. That sucked big time.

On the plus side, I never lost a project due to Edition crashing (it did crash, but the autosave meant the project was always there), unlike Premiere 6, which dies regularly and soon teaches you to hit CTRL+S every few seconds. Best of all, last time Premiere crashed and rebooted my machine it trashed my hard drive enough to lose all my captured footage as well as the project file.

So, actually, I guess I've yet to find _any_ good editing program on a PC :). Even Avid, while it has a lot of nice features, has some stupid ones too: e.g. the congenital inability to let you use the mouse for editing.

Call me Mr. Fancy Pants

Call me Mr. Fancy Pants

Well call me Mr. Fancy Pants.
I'm about to start editing with both Vegas and Liquid, although Premier Pro takes full of advantage of my hyperthreaded processor so it's still questionable as to which one will offer me the best performance. As you said, Liquid has it's autosave settings, and Liquid also utilizes an awesome color correction set up, whereas Vegas can edit in various formats and various frame rates, more so than either Liquid or Premier. Sony/Sonic Foundry is expected to release Vegas 5 very soon, which is expected to have some pretty phenomenal capabilities.
But, I still really love FCP; too bad I don't own a Mac...

i have adobe premier pro. but i am new to editing and have not worked with it too much since ive gotten it.

I have recently upgraded to Premiere Pro as well, and i mut say, WOW! I can compare it to FCP, but why? For as cheap as you can get a nice editing PC, why not go for the Pro? I have nothing more than a mere DeLL Demension 4600, and a mere 2.8ghz, and i have cut over ten projects on it. I have to say that even the students(like myself) and the newbees, it is fast, easy, and a cheap way to get the high grade quality out of even the really low grade shots.

-But that's just me
________
SILVER SURFER REVIEWS

Last edited:

Network Sponsors

Back