Adobe Premier Pro or Final Cut Pro and why

TruthBTold

can someone share with me which one of these programs is better - I want to do music videos, movies, presentations, short films, long films - you name it!!!!

Are you working off of a PC platform or a Mac platform? Do you have a preference? I don't work with either of these programs on a regular basis since I edit with Avid, but I can tell you hands down that if I was having to choose between Premiere or FCP I'd take FCP any day of the week, despite having to migrate to a Macintosh platform to do my audio/visual work. The program is generally stronger in media management, processing, editing, etc. I find Premiere to struggle from the typical Adobe tool-palette-based interface problems, while FCP is easier to get running with the keyboard shortcuts and the tools, once you know them, make more sense for doing what you want to do.

That's my two-sense, but with that said alot of it comes down to what platform you're working with...

Good luck making your decision...

Adobe Pre Pro

Adobe Pre Pro

I am working from a PC platform and have work with Premier. I have had so many capture problems where it will just stop and shut down. I heard so many good things about Final Cut in marketing but wondered if it is really good. What is Avid? Can you tell me will Final Cut be able to do movies, music videos and all the like with all the bells and whistles and special effects like APP. Well I appreciate all your help in this.

Well, I haven't used Premiere Pro (my previous experience was with an older version) and my experience with Final Cut is, like I said, limited. However, I'm pretty sure most of what you probably use in Premiere is available in Final Cut Pro.

Avid is a multi-platform editing solution; meaning it works on PC and Mac, both. (At least, the base editing suite does.) The limitation most people have with purchasing Avid (especially now they've stopped selling the DV version) is that Express Pro runs about $1500. The student version runs for $295, but you can't use it for commercial projects.

If you already have Premiere it might be a smarter move for you to take the time to figure out what your hardware issues are. (If you're having capture problems, it's probably some sort of hardware issue.) It'd probably be cheaper for you to solve the problem than to purchase a whole new editing system w/ software...

If you're interested in learning more about Avid just head to www.avid.com.

Again, hope this helps.

Re: Adobe Pre Pro

Re: Adobe Pre Pro

TruthBTold said:
I am working from a PC platform and have work with Premier. I have had so many capture problems where it will just stop and shut down. I heard so many good things about Final Cut in marketing but wondered if it is really good. What is Avid? Can you tell me will Final Cut be able to do movies, music videos and all the like with all the bells and whistles and special effects like APP. Well I appreciate all your help in this.

Interesting. Apple does have the edge on marketing when people who use neither PPro or FCP recommend FCP...

First, what issues are you having with PPro and what sort of a machine are you running it on?

i think one area where Adobe needs to improve is some sort of a minimum system requirement that is built into the installer so the software can't be installed on underpowered systems, particularly in the days of HD.

I've used both FCP and PPro and it's 6 of one, a half-dozen of the other. For DVC ProHD work, FCP wins the efficiency race as it cuts DVC ProHD (both tape and P2 based) natively...PPro will handle the P2 data soon as it's in development.

I've been editing with Premiere since v6.0. Version 5.0 was a stinker and i think that reputation has stuck with it. V6 and 6.5 were very stable on their own (third party video cards sometimes added a wrinkle) and PPro v1, 1.5, 2, and 3 are pretty decent pieces of software...not without their issues, but then spend some time on any FCP forum and you'll see that no software is trouble-free.

I edit HD and 2K about 80% of the time these days using CineForm and I find it to work pretty well, but then I'm also very fond of Photoshop and AE, which do integrate nicely.

Again...I don't want to take anything away from FCP, it's a good program, but PPro isn't nearly as bad as some make it out to be.

Perhaps we can solve your system issues with PPro?

Network Sponsors

Back