A big problem called: "Guiding a Composer"

Trevor Madsen

Hi There!
It is more than 35 years that I compose for films and TV programs. Since the time when Pro Tools, Cubase, plugins, Ctrl/z, and any digital gear was no existed! šŸ˜
I am not actually here seeking for film music project or something. It`s not gonna be affordable for you guys to hire me, even if you need me to compose for your projects. I just came her to help young filmmakers to make a better and efficient connection and relation with a film composer. I know even lot of experienced film directors who have problem concerning guidance their own film composers. "Film music" is result of "mutual comprehending".
I maybe write an article about this topic in the future, but at the present time you can ask your questions about any part of film music procedure.
By the way, you can listen to some of my music in the link below:
Good luck!

Last edited:
What software should a composer use to put her or his music to the video? Also, what is the workflow? I am a decent composer but there is so much software out there. What would I start with if I have a video and I want to compose music for it and sync it with the story?

What software should a composer use to put her or his music to the video? Also, what is the workflow? I am a decent composer but there is so much software out there. What would I start with if I have a video and I want to compose music for it and sync it with the story?
You don't need to do that, if you are a composer. After you finished the music (as a composer) you hand over the music files to your customer, and then their sound engineer will add the music on video/film.
And if you got a video to compose music for that, It is a different story. You need to open the video on your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) and then start to mark the parts that you (and the director) want to make music for that. This is the start of the procedure for production.

Last edited:
What advice would you give to young amateur composers? :) What book would you recommend them to read?

What advice would you give to young amateur composers? :) What book would you recommend them to read?
I`ve got no advice to young composers. They will find their own way finally.
I like to help young filmmakers to make better and efficient communication with composers, and also comprehend the concept of "dramatic music". It is exactly the point where young filmmakers have kind of defect on their job.

Network Sponsors

Back