180 rule for fights?

buijon

Does the 180 line rule still apply for like a martial arts/sword fight? I am finding it hard to break the rule which makes me think so, but you tend to miss anything if their backs are both turned to the camera. What tricks are there to keep just about all the action visible without it getting confusing?

You can cut to a close-up right in between the two shots that break the 180 degree rule. The close-up or any other such shot will reset the line of action so that you can transition to that shot without confusing anybody.
Hope that helps.

just so you know

just so you know

Just so you know you can flip over the 180 line sometimes too see it done correctly watch the movie Taxi

180 in fight scenes

180 in fight scenes

I find the main issue with breaking the 180 in a fight scene is that the fighters seem to switch places and the momentum of the action seems to reverse itself in an instant. This happens especially when you are living in a medium or wide shot.

As was mentioned before, using a close shot for the section you want to cross the 180 will work. To add to that, while you are in the close use the physical action to have the fighters realign your 180 to where you want it. If you can use the momentum of the action to your advantage you can avoid any noticable shift.

Network Sponsors

Back