Light Meter?

Barry Cheong

Looking to getting a light meter to use when shooting 16mm motion picture and film and also 35mm stills. Also would use for DV just to check ratios (not for exposure). Its a toss up between the Sekonic 508C or 558C? The 608C is out of my budget.

What do you think would be best?

Re:Light Meter?

Hello Barry,
I see you are looking forward to buying a light meter there is not too much difference between the 558 and 508 sekonic either way you go they are both equally as good except that the 558 for what i know you can get an optional radio transmitter other then that they both are equally as good.

Thanks,

I decided I think I will go with the 558C...thought about going with the 608C for a bit but realized I probably won't need the zoom feature on the spot meter. That seems to be the only major difference.

Thanks again.

stop don't buy it!!!!!

stop don't buy it!!!!!

I bought within the last 2 month 2 Sekonic 608Cine light meter over ebay from a guy with the nickname ewong888 (or something) - brand new but no warranty of course. I receive both of them in perfect condition (several layers of bubblewrap and all that stuff) and also tested them and both are 100% accurate (although most brands slightly vary in their readings about +-20% at max from other brands - but just compare it with your gaffer or DP before u start a shoot)
each time I got the light meter with the buyitnow function for 555$ including shipping.
I hope it's not to late,

Philipp

get the sekonic studio deluxe. it is cheap, easy to use and extremely rugged and reliable. just make sure they are not out of scale. do so with a given lamp that you know the ouput for sure and measure the footcandles incidental light. I know, this is not very reliable but good enough to know if your in the ballpark or not. This is also excellent when measuring the rations of your key and fill light.
around here this is still the most used incidental meter. as for spot reading (not ideal for ratios buit rather for highlights and contrast measurements) I recommend the minolta spotmeter F. has never let me down.

I used to use a Studio Delux as my main meter. I now use the Seknonic 508c. I still keep the Studio Delux in my bag for backup, or to give to the gaffer (because of the foot candle readings).

Its a good meter.

Kevin Zanit

just ordered another sekonic 398M today and I can say I still love it the most of all incidental/ ambient meters. along with the spotmeter F I think this is enough to get through most production needs. at least that's how I get along

Network Sponsors

Back